Ga naar inhoud

Darwyn Cooke

mojo

In december komt de nieuwe Parker uit, Slayground. Aanvankelijk was de volgende The Handle, maar blijkbaar zijn de plannen veranderd.

Parker Will Return in Slayground! Darwyn Cooke's Newest Adaptation Coming In December

San Diego, CA (July 20, 2013) - Darwyn Cooke's acclaimed Parker series from IDW continues to expand with the classic SlaygroundIn this newest graphic novelParker is put to the test against crooked cops and sleazy gangsters after a heist goes south and he finds himself trapped in an amusement park closed for the winter, and embroiled in a deadly game of cat and mouse... a game that slowly starts to favor the mouse.

"A boarded up amusement park was an inspired setting for Parker," said writer/artist Darwyn Cooke, "and Westlake made the most of it. A great story that I'm enjoying the hell out of adapting."

Based on the influential novels by Richard Stark, AKA, Donald Westlake, Parker is a coldly calculating master criminal, one with a very rigid code. The IDW adaptations by Darwyn Cooke of The Hunter and The Outfit have received multiple Eisner and Harvey awards. The Score, released last year, is nominated for an Eisner Award at this week's San Diego Comic-Con International. Slayground will be the fourth Parker adaptation in the popular and much lauded series.

Darwyn Cooke's distinct style has made him a premier writer and artist in the comic book industry. A former animator, Cooke entered mainstream comics in 2000 with his critical hit Batman: Ego for DC Comics.

Donald Westlake, writing as Richard Stark, was the acclaimed author of the Parker series. He was a three-time Edgar Award winner, as well as being named a Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America, that prestigious societies highest honor. 

cooke-slayground-625x906.jpg

This is Planetary: “These are the moments I live for. I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this. The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised.”

Link naar reactie
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Gisteren geen Cooke gelezen, maar wel Payback the directors cut gezien, een verfilming v Parker the hunter met Mel Gibson. De film volgt vrij getrouw het boek, maar Gibson speelt het in Lethal Weapon modus, wat totaal niet bij het personage Parker past. Ik denk eerder aan Josh Brolin als Film Parker. Negeer je de tics v Gibson echter, dan is dit best een goeie verfilming.

This is Planetary: “These are the moments I live for. I put up with all the other crap just to get seconds like this. The moments when you know the world is a better place than advertised.”

Link naar reactie
  • 4 months later...

PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER AND DARK COMEDY IN REVENGEANCE

The bestselling artist’s first creator-owned project

Image Comics is pleased to announce that cartoonist Darwyn Cooke (Parker, DC: The New Frontier) will launch REVENGEANCE, his first fully creator-owned project, from Image Comics in June 2015.

REVENGEANCE is a psychological thriller with darkly humorous overtones. When Joe Malarky is faced with a criminal tragedy, he sets out to make things right on his own. What follows is Joe's odyssey through the underside of the city and the madness that seems to drive his crazy world.

REVENGEANCE takes place in Toronto in the mid-eighties and is part crime story, part psychotronic melodrama, and a wholly fond look back at the author's hometown.

“Darwyn Cooke is a living legend and there’s little I can say in favor of his amazing body of work that hasn’t been said before, but it’s a true honor to have him doing Revengeance at Image,” said Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics. “Like everyone else in comics, I’ve been such a huge fan of Darwyn’s work for so long that finally publishing something by him—not to mention something this cool—seems almost like a dream. Just knowing we’re putting this out is an early highlight for what is already looking like an amazing year.”

The series is set to launch from Image Comics in June 2015.

- See more at: http://imagecomics.com/content/view/darwyn-cooke-delivers-a-psychological-thriller-and-dark-comedy-in-revengean#sthash.DesJ2dmD.dpuf

REVENGEANCE.jpg

Link naar reactie
  • 5 months later...

Het is dringend tijd voor een nieuwe Cooke. Momenteel bezig met het herlezen v Parker.

Link naar reactie

Parker is een vd weinige reeksen waar ik voor dubbel dip. Mooie hc's om onmiddellijk te lezen en een super luxe met extra's daarna.

Link naar reactie

Ik ben een fan van Cooke, dus voor mij hoe meer extra's hoe beter en het is ook één vd redenen waarom ik de reeksen van Brubaker in singles volg. Dat wil niet zeggen dat elke reeks die ik volg extra's hoeft en sommige zijn nogal saai en voegen weinig toe.

Link naar reactie

Als de extra's bestaan uit 50 pagina's script... who cares? Ik niet in ieder geval, maar de Martini Edition is echt fantastisch! Heel veel extra tekeningen, interview door Brubaker, de films gebaseerd op Parker beschouwd. En uiteraard is er dan het grote formaat waarop de tekening nog beter uitkomen. Geen probleem dus om extra lang te wachten :)

Link naar reactie

De hele Parker serie door Cooke herlezen (en al de extra's uit de Martini edition en nog enkele andere interviews die Cooke heeft gedaan). The Score blijkt mijn favoriet te zijn. Aansluitend ook nog een Parker boek gelezen, The Rare Coin Score en nog 2 andere Parker boeken besteld, The Handle en Flashfire als reislectuur (ik lees op reis vooral boeken en weinig strips, vooral om praktishe redenen).

darwyncooke-thescore-04.jpg

rev123104spl.jpg

parker-score.png

Link naar reactie
  • 1 month later...

Ja, ik ken de winkel. Als ik in Londen ben probeer ik er altijd te passeren. Hun nieuw pand is groter, maar iets moeilijker te vinden.

Link naar reactie
  • 8 months later...

idd damn.  :e001: :e001: :e001:

Verklaart waarom het plots zo stil was rond hem. Hij had nog een reeks bij Image gepland, die volledig vd planning is verdwenen.

Link naar reactie
We regret to inform you that Darwyn lost his battle with cancer early this morning at 1:30 AM ET. We read all of your messages of support to him throughout the day yesterday. He was filled with your love and surrounded by friends and family at his home in Florida. 

Donations can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society and Hero Initiative. 

Please continue to respect our privacy as we go through this very difficult time. 

A longer statement will come later today. 

“Then we shall not be weary. Then we shall prevail.” -- John F. Kennedy’s New Frontier speech

post-461-0-61849400-1463245949_thumb.jpg

Link naar reactie

Vandaag 2 interviews met Darwyn Cooke beluisterd: Wondercon 2015 (April - via youtube) en Lakes International Festival 2015 (Oktober - via iTunes Podcast). Beide interviews geven een overzicht van zijn carrière, maar vullen elkaar ook aan met enkele leuke anekdotes, zijn volgende projecten (oa een nieuwe Parker),... Zeer de moeite!

Vorig jaar was er ook een interview en signeersessie met Cooke bij Gosh Comics London. Ik heb toen met heel veel spijt mijn trip naar Londen om hem te ontmoeten afgelast. Ik kan nog steeds niet geloven dat hij er niet meer is en we geen nieuw werk meer van hem zullen kunnen lezen. Ondertussen ben ik bezig om The New Frontier Deluxe Edition met al zijn extra's te lezen. Ik heb op mijn huwelijksreis de TPB's ontdekt, maar sindsdien had ik de reeks niet meer gelezen. Binnenkort ga ik ook die DC collectie met al zijn one shots kopen. Veel daarvan heb ik nog niet gelezen.

Het verrast me dat ik zo onder de indruk ben van zijn dood.

Cooke%20-%20Parker.jpg

Link naar reactie
  • 2 months later...

Tribute panel at SDCC

There will be a panel at this year's San Diego Comic-con to celebrate the life and art of award-winning cartoonist Darwyn Cooke with moderator Jimmy Palmiotti and some of the biggest names in comics and animation, including Mike Allred, Scott Dunbier, Cully Hamner, Frank Tieri, and Bruce Timm.

The panel will be held on Saturday July 23rd from 8:00pm to 9:00pm in Room 25ABC of the convention centre.

Link naar reactie
  • 2 weeks later...

Op onderstaande link staan 21 audio opnames van panels op SDCC 2016, oa ook het Tribute panel voor Darwyn Cooke. Ik heb nog niet alles beluisterd, maar het opent met een voorgelezen brief van Darwyn's weduwe Marsha, waarbij je wat meer over zijn dood te weten komt. Eind december werd er longkanker vastgesteld en werd er onmiddellijk begonnen met chemo, maar niets hielp.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/07/27/21-san-diego-comic-con-panels-for-you-to-listen-to-and-the-eisners/

Link naar reactie